Choir DirectorPosted on March 3, 2023
United Church - Wellington
Prince Edward, ON 243 Wellington Main Street
March 31, 2023
Who are we?
Located in the heart of town, the Wellington United Church supports a community of more than 1,000 individuals. Our congregation members include families with young children, recent retirees, summer visitors, life-time residents and many new faces each week. Whether you are able to attend regularly, or are only here for a few days, joining the congregation Sunday morning will leave you with a true sense of community and belonging.
We are in need of a Choir Director. Do you have musical talent and a passion to minister/lead people with that talent? Then consider our posting.
The Choir Director shall have the responsibility for the care and control of the music at Wellington United Church.
Recognizing the central place of music in the worship experience and spiritual formation of members of the congregation, the Choir Director is responsible;
- To work cooperatively with the Minister and the Pianist/Accompanist in planning the music portion of Sunday morning worship. Ensure a suitable repertoire of music including a choral anthem and/or solo) and choral music for worship services.
- To select, rehearse, and direct the music played by the Pianist/Accompanist and sung by the choir and soloists at weekly services of worship. This will include regular Sunday worship as well as all special seasonal worship services. It may also include other special services as designated by the Board in conjunction with the Minister.
- To train and develop the choir by conducting regular weekly rehearsals. Ensure the choir has a suitable pre-performance warm up.
- Provide the necessary guidance and direction during choir rehearsals to assist in choir members achieving the correct tone, pitch, rhythm, temp and harmony.
- To recruit new choir members.
- To facilitate, in conjunction with the Sunday school staff, the musical programs for the children in the Sunday school.
- To prepare a choir report for the Annual Congregational Meeting.
- In the event of absence, the Choir Director will coordinate with the Pianist/Accompanist to ensure that suitable coverage is in place for all planned worship services.
- The Choir Director shall provide music, if requested, for funerals and weddings in the church where it is requested by the family through the Minister. The Choir Director will be paid an “Honorarium” (fee) by the family. The current fee is $100.00.
- The Choir Director will act on behalf of the choir, (when issues are brought to their attention), and will take concerns or requests to the Chair of the Ministry and Personnel (M&P) Committee. The M&P Committee will convey the requests or concerns to the Official Board. Likewise, any concerns of the congregation brought forward to the Official Board will be addressed directly with the Choir Director by the Chair of the M&P Committee.
This is a part-time position, but with flexibility in extended period of weeks off. Weekly hours are to be determined and will vary based on the needs of the choir in cooperation with the Pianist and the Minister.
Wage is commensurate upon experience and to be discussed with considered candidates.
- Bachelor’s degree in music, music education, or related field is preferred.
- Proven experience directing a choir.
- Sound musical knowledge.
- The ability to interpret various styles of music.
- A passion for music!
- The ability to work with, and inspire multigenerational choir members.
- Effective planning, organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Strong leadership and listening skills.
- Effective communication skills.
- The ability to build collaborative relationships.
- Patient and creative.
How to apply:
- Send your cover email and resume with a subject line and/or in body of email indicating “Choir Director”
- Submit via: PICTONHR@careeredge.on.ca OR drop off application during business hours to attention of: Tabitha Taylor, Job Developer, Career Edge – Picton, Suite #103 – 141 Main Street, Picton, ON K0K 2T0
This job advertisement has been provided by an external employer. Career Edge is not responsible for the accuracy, authenticity or reliability of the content.Cette offre a été fournie par un employeur externe. Career Edge n’est pas responsable de l’exactitude, de l’authenticité ni de la fiabilité du contenu.